MatthewKilp
Owner
132 posts
15 reputation

IGN: MatthewKilp
By MatthewKilp » 11 months ago

Hi all,

It's been a while since I last posted here, and so am just going to update everyone on some of the things that I see being asked quite frequently. I now mostly post server updates on our Discord guild, and would reccomend anyone not there to join to receive updates from me sooner. Anyway, onto the questions:

Why don't you support 1.13 items?

In order to support 1.13 items, at present it would mean we'd have to drop support for all versions other than 1.13 (1.8-1.12). Given that around 65% of our players are using these versions, right now I can't justify dropping version support until 1.13 makes up a majority of our players, or the plugins we're relying on updates for support 1.8-1.12 client support on a 1.13 server.

Why do you have intrusive donation messages so often?

We went a few months without donations, and so started to adjust features around to see what could be done to increase donations to try and keep the server alive. The first step was decreasing the default rank plot allocation from 4 plots to 2 (1 on join, 2nd on vote). After this, we trialled an in game title every 15 minutes, which is what most complaints I've seen are surrounding, which was removable temporarily by voting, or permenantly by donating. This hasn't helped with donations at all, so we've reduced the frequency to once per hour (and once on join), and will continue with chat messages about donating. To anyone asking why our donation messages aren't like all other servers they play on, most those servers probably aren't loosing money - we're actively trying to increase donations so we can continue to provide a service. I'm aware and appreciate that not everyone can donate, but am still trying to work out how best to handle funding the shortfall in donations in a way that is best to everyone.

Why are some of the features being removed?

In an attempt to tackle the donation shortfall, we've had to resort to shuffling some features around - this includes head database (/hdb) access, 2nd plot claiming, and more recently WorldEdit brushes. All of these features can be unlocked for 24 hours by voting for the server (https://theburrow.net/vote) so you can still access them without donating, however if you'd rather avoid voting for these features, you can unlock them permenantly by donating (included in any rank). I understand that this is far from ideal, however given we've gone almost 5 months with no donations (except for the day of my announcement with regards to funding shortfall & rank changes), we've been left with no decision other than to start changing things up, or shutting down the server - which I'd like to avoid as much as possible. Once the funding required for a given month's hosting costs have been met, these features will once again be available for all users without voting for the remaining time in that month, and if donations exceed our requirement, the features will carry over as far into the future as that month's donations fund costs for.

Is the server shutting down soon?

As above, we are experiencing financial issues, however we are making an attempt to resolve these in order to continue hosting the server. This year donations fell short of our hosting costs (£375) by £95. Starting in January, we are moving hosting provider - this will half our hosting costs, however will mean less resources allocated to the server, so potentially slightly slower - and also a shift in latency (better for EU users, worse for US users).

Starting from 2019, we are introducing a more clear means funding requirement goal.

We will begin to display a quarterly (Jan->Mar, Apr->Jun, Jul->Sep, Oct->Dec) donation requirement on the donation store/  in game messages rather than the monthly and annual goals that are currently referenced. This goal will reflect the costs of our hosting, so with the move to a cheaper hosting provider, the first quarter of 2019's funding requirement will be around 60 GBP.

In any given quarter, if donations do not meet the funding requirement, then we will be unable to continue operating the server, and so within the next quarter the donation store will be disabled and methods for users to export their builds / data will be provided, new plot claiming disabled, and after 1-3 months of the closing down stage the server will go offline.

In the case we receive donations exceeding our target for one quarter, the funds will be put towards the funding for following quarter(s) costs, or if donations are regularly exceeding costs, potential to upgrade the server back to hardware similar speed to what we are currently in the process of downgrading from.

Is the server premium or cracked?

We only support premium accounts, as per Mojang's EULA, we can't accept donations if the server is cracked.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas (if celebrated), and hope you all have a happy new year.

Matthew

Need support? Email [email protected] or open a thread on our website.